HIGH SCHOOL GRADES 9-12
Our independent study/personalized learning high school program requires students and their support person (usually a parent or guardian) to meet with their California Credentialed Supervisory Teacher once a week for approximately one hour. During this meeting, students share their coursework with their Supervisory Teacher and oral assessments are conducted on content studied during the previous week.
STUDENT ACADEMIC SUPPORT – ENRICHMENT:
- PVCS offers a variety of supporting workshops and tutoring to help students succeed in their coursework. Some of the courses may require weekly attendance of a workshop in addition to the weekly meeting with the Supervisory Teacher. These include several of our math classes , Read 180, Spanish I, English, Biology Lab, and Work Experience.
- Additional supports include PLC Subject Lead office hours, math tutoring, and access to our Computer Lab and Study Hall staffed by instructional aides. PLC Subject Leads office hours are available for students who need additional support in Language Arts, Math, Social Science, and Science coursework. Scheduled support times are (please contact your Supervisory Teacher to schedule an appointment)
- Student Enrichment: PVCS offers monthly student events within the community which may include Sea World, Community College tours, San Diego Job Corps Center, Youth in Court, City Hall Tour, Surf Museum, San Diego Wild Animal Park, and others.
- College and Career: PVCS schedules monthly presentations from local colleges and trade schools. Visits may include: representatives from the Departments of Nursing, Auto Technology, Child Development, Bio Technology, Design, and others. Student Ambassadors from MiraCosta College meet with students each month to assist with applications and registration. Concurrent enrollment in Community College is highly encouraged.
Planning resources, such as, the California CareerZone website, hosted by the California Career Resource Network, which offers learning style assessments and thousands of college and career resources.
Pacific View Charter School (PVCS) promotes differentiated learning and offers several curriculum solutions for students:
- Traditional textbook-based: All core courses are UC/a-g approved. The textbook-based curriculum is rigorous and aligned to the California State Standards. All curriculum materials are provided to the student. Publishers include Prentice Hall, Holt, McDougal Littel, and others.
- Online courses– All core courses are UC/a-g approved. The digital curriculum is comprised of standards-based instructional content specifically developed for online delivery, with assessments integrated throughout and scaffolding to support learning for all levels of students.
- Credit Recovery Online Courses are crafted to keep students on task and moving forward, utilizing a “chunked” methodology to increase retention, as well as pre-recorded audio, pre-teaching of vocabulary.
- NCAA Approved Core Courses – PVCS core courses are NCAA approved. For a complete list of courses click HERE